Overview of the .NET Migration Tool
.NET migration tool is a secure and scalable web app that can help with the
- Assessment (Identify areas of the app that need to be refactored)
- Build (Refactor the app to be cloud-ready), Deployment (Containerize and deploy to Google Cloud).
- Security (Security assessment to determine cloud readiness)
- Testing (Validate that the modernized application works the same as the old application)
- Operations (Monitoring, logging, and alerting).
For every type of application, we can generate certain rules that help refactor legacy applications. The application generates a suggestion report of every file where refactoring is needed. This report is utilized with human-in-the-loop to refactor .NET applications to make them cloud-deployment-ready. These applications are tested thoroughly and containerized to deploy them on Google Cloud.
Steps to follow when using .NET Migration Tool
Login with access credentials
- Upload .NET Legacy Project
Fill in the details and click “Create Assessment.” It will take a few minutes to finish the assessment, and once done we see the record added to the list of completed assessments.
When the assessment is completed successfully, the project is added to the assessment list as shown in the image below.
- View reports
We generate three reports
- API Portability report and Upgrade Assistant report are generated with the help of Microsoft API. These two reports offer a high-level report on the area of improvement, leaving a gap in understanding the code refactor.
- “Suggestion Reports” is a SpringML in-house generated report. In the report for every file in the project, our springML smart code identifier identifies the code changes to be made in the file and Highlights the code changes.
- Code refactor
The suggested changes are made by a developer in the IDE (visual studio in this case.)
For example, we have modified the package name from using MSMQ.messaging to using Google.Cloud.PubSub.V1, and more. syntactical changes are made.
- Deploy on the cloud
After the code changes, upload the code to GitHub and use that repository to deploy your .NET Application on Cloud Run or GKE.
Management of Rules (Additional feature for Authorized users only)
When you log in with admin-authorized credentials you see an additional tab, “Manage Rules,” which provides access to Add, Edit, and Delete rules that will be used to make the recommendations.
To create a new Rule for the recommendation, click on “+New Rule” and the below screen pops up. Fill in the required details and save it.
Congratulations!! you have successfully finished understanding the .NET migration tool usage.
Check out the demo video below to understand how to modernize your .NET applications to cloud using the .NET migration tool.